McKinsey: Ten trends to watch in 2006
I read these trends for 2006 (member login, free) on McKinseyQuarterly. These trends are all described in short on their webpage, but I just sum them up here. Below every trend you can find relevant information of McKinsey which you can read as a summary for free! Although they are short excerpts they will gave you some understanding about what is going on.
1. Centers of economic activity will shift profoundly, not just globally, but also regionally.
China and India: The race to growth
Mapping the global capital markets
2. Public-sector activities will balloon, making productivity gains essential.
The demographic deficit: How aging will reduce global wealth
Boosting government productivity
3. The consumer landscape will change and expand significantly.
Social and environmental trends:
4. Technological connectivity will transform the way people live and interact.
The next revolution in interactions
The McKinsey Global Survey of Business Executives, July 2005
7. Demand for natural resources will grow, as will the strain on the environment.
Business and industry trends:
8. New global industry structures are emerging.
Strategy in an era of global giants
Loosening up: How process networks unlock the power of specialization